Pregnancy brings about all kinds of changes for a woman, emotionally and physically. For many, aches and pains in the lower back and hips are a part of this experience and cause a lot of discomfort. In fact, between 50 to 70 percent of women experience back pain at some point during their pregnancy. However, it more commonly occurs later in pregnancy as the baby grows. Luckily, chiropractic care can provide relief through safe and effective treatments.
Is Seeing a Chiropractor Safe During Pregnancy?
The question is often whether or not it is safe to seek chiropractic treatment during pregnancy. While this is something that you should discuss with your OB, chiropractic care is generally safe and beneficial for you and the baby. Of course, there are situations where seeking a chiropractor may not be the best idea, which is why we always recommend getting your doctor’s approval prior to making an appointment.
There are a number of reasons why you may experience back pain during pregnancy, such as:
● Stress- Pregnancy can place a lot of extra stress and pressure on the back and hips due to the extra weight, and the fact that stress usually accumulates in the weakest areas in the body.
● Center of gravity- Your center of gravity will change and gradually move forward as the baby grows, which causes your posture to change.
● Hormone increase- Hormones during pregnancy loosen and soften the ligaments in the pelvis in preparation of birth and may affect the support your back is used to.
● Additional weight- As your pregnancy progresses you will gradually increase in weight, which can cause more stress and pressure on your pelvis and joints.
● Changing position or posture- Your posture and the way you make certain movements can change quite a bit during pregnancy and cause stiffness and pain throughout your body. Dr. Brad Young has had many years of experience providing care to women during pregnancy, and uses a variety of techniques and methods to ensure you and the baby remain safe and comfortable the entire time.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
Routine chiropractic visits can provide several benefits during pregnancy, and help realign the spine and joints affected by pregnancy. Keeping healthy and comfortable can significantly help you through a smooth pregnancy and birth.
The top benefits chiropractic care will offer include:
● Reduced nausea
● Reduced back, sciatica, and hip pain
● More restful sleep
● Fewer headaches
● Less swelling
Contact Young Chiropractic today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Brad Young, and get started on your journey to being pain free during pregnancy.